Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmrVA

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
US
We are looking at the following for a firewall between our DSL modem and the server. If you know of any "challenges" with any of these models, or a preference, I would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

CISCO 831 Router
CISCO 837 Router
CISCO PIX 501

It all depends on what you really want. The first two aren't really firewalls but can run the firewall feature set and the third is a proper firewall. I would go with the pix.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

All the models that you listed are good for a small office firewall/vpn server. I used the 800 series routers in some of my small branch offices as a firewall and site-to-site vpn router (the features are of course based on the software image you purchase with the router). The PIX 501 is just as good and is designed to be a firewall and vpn server. Most of my shop has their skills based in Cisco IOS, so we chose the routers over the Pix firewall. You should checkout their website because there will be certain features that one will have that the other won't and vise versa (one being a router and one being a dedicated security device). As far as problems, I have not run into any problem with my 800 series routers. They are programmed just like any other routers. Cisco just released their SDM (Security Device Manager) 2.1. Which allows you (if you are not familiar or don't want to use the CLI) to program the VPN, Firewall, etc from a GUI (this applies to the router).

Thanks all of you for the information!

If you have about 25 users and are not planning on setting up more than 4 or 5 VPN connections you would probably be
OK with the 800 series. Be careful though if you configure the IOS with advanced firewall settings as this could push the CPU over the edge. It is really a SOHO router. If you have the budget you should consider the 2600XM or 2800 series routers. Both have fast ethernet ports and expansion capabilites for additional interfaces. 800 series is fixed hardware configuration with no slots. If you dont have the budget then you might also consider a 1700 series router with a wic-1adsl and eliminate the dsl modem. It has one built in fast ethernet port and can be found on ebay for a good price.
Take a look at the following link...this will probably go for about $350 to $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back