Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External edit field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven078

Programmer
Jan 14, 2003
NL
Is it possible to get the text from an editfield of an external program, change the string and place it back to that editfield?

Well I don't think so.
A solution to get it to work is to write the string from the edit box into a text file and do a polling mechanisam on the file from the other app. When the file is filled do your stuff and replace the file with a new string.
Then same polling from the other app if the file has changed. Open the file and put the string in the edit box.
But it requires modifications to both programs.

One program exist already and can't be modified, the other has to be some kind of add-on. So your solution doesn't work. Thx anyway.

Since I can't find a way to read and write the external editfield directly, I decided to use the clipboard as an interface between the external and mine program.

I copy selected text to the clipboard into my program by simulating the CTRL-C keypress. Maybe there another (better) way for doing this??? I don't know yet how to paste it back, since my program has focus. Any ideas???

But I also want to assign some kind of hotkey to pop-up my application. Is there a way to do this without looping my application for scanning all keypresses. Otherwise it raises the cpu usage up to 100%???

I copy selected text to the clipboard into my program by simulating the CTRL-C keypress

This doesn't work either, I guess I pressed CTRL-C myself before using my program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back