Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel won't open except certain ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlayng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
US
I have a user that constantly locks up when trying to open Excel documents from within the application? She can open .xls documents from Windows Explorer or e-mail but when she does a file, open, the application locks up (goes not responding)before it will let her actually browse her xl folder for the file she wants to open? I have run Detect & Repair but am still having the same problem. Any ideas? She does have a lot of files in her Xl folder but that shouldn't be causing this much trouble.

What version of Excel - When you say she has a lot of Excel files in her XL folder, you don't mean the XLSTART folder do you, as it will try to open them all when you launch Excel.

If 97 or 2000, then a bloated *.xlb file can often cause problems, eventually leading to Excel crashing. You can just delete this file and it will create anew one, but you will lose any toolbar customisations. Anything above circa 50K is potentially heading for trouble.

Regards
Ken......................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am starting to think that it may be bigger than an excel issue. When we try to insert a file into an e-mail I get the same result. It pulls up the normal open folder window that would allow you to browse for the file you are looking for then it does a quick fast forward through all the folders in My Documents to the end of the folder list and it locks. I re-installed office 2000 but am still getting the same result? I have never have seen anything quite like it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back