Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 97 Data Validation Pulldowns Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebadiah

Technical User
Apr 29, 2001
US
I've got 2 issues

1. In a recent spreadsheet that we use as a template, we've had a corruption of some of the cells where we use data validation with a dropdown list. What's happened is that a "ghost" pulldown button has appeared in some of the cells that use data validation and when that ghost button is clicked, instant Excel shutdown error. If you select the cell instead of the ghost button you get the working pulldown button next to the ghost button. Any suggestions on what's happened and how to avoid it? (I've already moved this 20 sheet, 10 MB spreadsheet from one file to a new one once already trying to escape this.)

2. In the data validation menus, the text size isn't scaled with the zoom level of the screen, and when I am at less than 75% zoom, the letters are very small and hard to read on the data validation pulldowns. Anyone know how to change the default size of the data validation pulldown menus?

Thanks in Advance!

Checked for all
Never use combo box controls, I prefer macros with buttons to activate different choices since most of what we are doing has discrete scenarios

Some of them started on merged cells, and unmerging doesnt get rid of the ghost, in fact the ghost stays where the second cell was but if you select the cell that the validation applies to, the buttons work, the crash only happens if you do not have the cell being validated highlighted. What's been happening is the other users don't pay attention and just click the ghost button, losing any work since the last save.

No hidden columns on the pages where this shows up, and the areas its in have never had hidden columns.

It's a mystery to me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back