Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error joining node to the cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk8680

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
NL
Hi,

I am running into some huge problems with my Windows 2000 Advanced Server Cluster. We are using a two-node cluster, both connected to a Compaq MSA1000 storage cabinet. Yesterday I had to do some maintenance on Node B which was owning all resource groups at that point. I tried to move the cluster groups to Node A but I got an error message which stated that the Cluser Service was not started on Node A. I tried starting the service but got several errors in the event logs stating that the CLUSDB file was missing or corrupt. I tried tracking this error in MS’s knowledgebase and found an article which described the steps needed to correct this error. I had to evict Node A, restart it and reinstall Cluster Services on it. I followed these steps but when I tried to join the node to the cluster I got the following error:

An unrecoverable error occurred trying to synchronize this node with the cluster registry.

A required privilege is not held by the client.

Error ID: -1073741727 (c0000061).

After looking on the net for hours I gave up and decided to do a fresh reinstall of the server. This morning I reinstalled my server and I came to the point where I had to rejoin the node to the cluster. Unfortuonately I got the same error as last night. The cluster seems to run fine on Node B….

There is very little information on the internet on this particular error so I hope anyone in this group can help me.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kusters

Are both Nodes using the same account for the Cluster Service? Is it an administrator on both Nodes?

Yes, they are both using a domain user account called ClusterService. This account has all required privileges and the cluster ran fine with this account since november last year.

regards,

Jeffrey Kusters

Check to see that the remote registry service is running on both nodes. If it is not then node joining the cluster cant get the relevant registry information from the node already in the cluster.

Hi,
do not restart your second clusternode. I have the same problem on a cluster and after a restart of the second node (or the clusterservice), i have the same error on the second node = reinstall the cluster !
Check your local policy, the clusteraccount needs the rights backup and restore.

Regards
Stephan

This will also happen if your Windows authentication mode is set to NTLM v2 in Group Policies. Cluster services required NTLM or LM to authorize upon install. After the cluster is established, you should be able to switch back to Negotiate NTLM v2 authentication.

Stephan,

That did it! I recently tried modifying some local registry keys on user's computers using KixStart. The command I used in kixstart required the user account to have backup and restore priviliges. I decided to give 'Everyone' these priviliges because I have locked down everything using group policies. The result was that the ClusterService account no longer had Backup & Restore privileges.

I was under the impression that the group 'Everyone' included every user account in my domain.

Anyway I gave the service account these privileges and I could re-join the node to the cluster without any problems.

A big "Thank you" to everyone who tried to help me out!

regards,

Jeffrey

I'm having the same problem with a Compaq DL380 Clustered server, it was working fine until this last virus outbreak (Lose in network not on servers), I got one node B working with -fixquorum switch and brought everything back on line with it. The users were happy, but when I try to reinstall node A the cluster service will not start says it can't join cluster.

I was reading about the registry keys above, but I confused about the Backup and Restore. Backup/Restore ?? which keys (Sorry if I can't see the forest for the trees, I'm brain fried) It's been a long day..

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back