Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error impoting excel data into access table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2005
US
Office 2000 pro, xp pro os

I am getting an error when trying to import data into an access table:

"An error occurred trying to import file 'c:\testtabel.xls' the file was not imported.

The column headings are in the same format as the table and will only allow me to select the current table to import to if I select "has column headings".

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks to all in advance......

Hi,

Access looks at row 1 to determine data-types for each field if there is no headings row, otherwise it looks at row 2. (Remember this! Row 1 or row 2 - you cannot have 2 or 3 heading rows).

Ensure that the first data row of the spreadsheet has a row with ALL cells populated (move such a row from lower down).

Also, if you have a cell with ambiguous content e.g. numeric only in a cell in first data row, but cells in lower rows (of the same colum) are alphanumeric or alphabetic - then Access may throw a wobbly.

Until I became 'au-fait' with Excel data-importing etc. I always found it easier to first 'link' the spreadsheet as a linked table and THEN import it from the linked table.

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience. darrylles@yahoo.co.uk

Darrylles, I thank you very much for you help. I wasn't able to import still after your first suggestion. However, I was able to link as a new table. How can I now import that data from the new table into my current table?

Thanks

Have a look at Append query.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thank you to you as well. I guess I'm going to need all of the help I can get. I did import the table, create a query and set up the append to default over to the main table. I ran the job but it came up with a message "you are about to append 65500 records your changes will not be reverseable do you want to continue"? I chose no because the actual database is only 5690 records and I am requesting to append only 6 records from the spreadsheet. ???? Got me????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back