Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 4 - String length exceeded

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldphoto

Technical User
Apr 19, 2003
US
I'm not a programmer, but we use Procomm 4.8 on Windows machines to dial into our host and vice versa. At certain times of the month we seem to get a lot of these "Error 4 - String length exceeded errors". Our programmers keep telling us it's noise on the phone line, but I think it has something to do with a scripting error since so many happen at the same time from all over the US, or maybe even an incompatibility since Procomm was written in Dos and we run on a Windows platform. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Win98, 2000 or XP. It usually occurs when our host is trying to dial into a Procomm client to send a message, and if you look on the host logfile afterward it says "No carrier". Does anybody have a suggestions?

I guess if I were you I'd try to get the source code and look at the procedure where the host is dailing the clients.

The help file for Aspect script in the debugging sections says:
004 String length limit exceeded

An operation which updates, concatenates, inserts or otherwise writes to a string variable has attempted to write data past the end of a string’s data area. The maximum length of a string in ASPECT is 256 characters.

While you might find line noise causing this error I would think it would be intermittent with the line dropping also.
It would also be much more likely on calls going over Satellite, not likely between states in the 48. That is unless you can hear noise on the phone line at either end in a normal local call meaning you have a bad cable pair from the telco probably.

Also if you go to he has some info there about converting scripts from previous versions to the current version.

DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back