Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsheerin

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
Hi all,

I am new to networker and would like to have the notifications emailed to me everyday. I am using Networker 6.0 on Windows 2000 and the machine has SMTP services running. We have a Exchange server on the same domain where my email account. I review the NT tech bulletin but I am still lost. Can any one help please.

Thanks

jsheerin

You will need to use something like blat or a simple text emailer. On unix you can just use mail but win2k/NT it is little more difficult. Do you want a full step-by-step process on how to do it?

Please tell me step by step. I prefer not to use blat. Can I just use the SMTP in Windows and sent to the Exchange server on the domain?

Thanks in advance.

Believe me, use BLAT.
download it from download.com and install it, really easy.
then in your bootstrap notification, enter:
blat - -t youremail@yourserver.com
in the Action field.
That's it
JC

Thanks Spinnerfr.
That is about all you need to do.
Just a few things. First you can put into any notification type. ie. completion report/cleaning tapes/whatever. You will also need to make sure that the blat.exe is in an executable path. (I just put it into the root path as it is quite small)
Then put in the action window put in the following command and that should solve your problem.
blat.exe - -f <<who it is from>> -t <<Who to send email to>> -noh -server <<mail server>>

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any more problems :)

Oh and if you don't want to use blat the install CD has a bunch of windows based text email programs. I didn't find them very good though.
They are in <<CD_path>>:\WIN32\WINNNT\Support
Enjoy.

Thanks everyone for all you help. I seem to be unable to get blat to work. I guess I am missing how exactly blat should be configured. I am stuck just trying to run a test from blat to send mail. I have tried to config
Blat -install <the name of the system where blat is installed> <sender's addr - I just make up a user>. Is that right?

Thanks again for all your help.

The server referred to in the &quot;blat -install <server addr>&quot; is the SMTP mail server. The user is a user on your Exchange mail server.

We have used blat in the past but now use SMTPMAIL as supplied by Legato on the cd.

I had Blat working on NT 4 prior to formatting and re-building my Legato machine, but can't seem to get it to work since. I have written a batch file that executes blat, connects to the SMTP server and sends the piece of mail. The name of my batch file is bksuc.bat. If I remember correctly I used to be able to just put the path to this batch file in the action line of the notification in Networker 5.5.1. Since I have upgraded to 6.0.2 Build 251(still on NT 4), this doesn't seem to work. Does anybody know the correct syntax to put in the action line?

Both the mail server and the email address that you use when installing have to be legitimate. You can either use your own email addy or have one created on your mail server specifically for Legato.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back