Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.dt/errorlog question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNJ

MIS
Mar 19, 2003
US
How does the system handle the rename and delete of the errorlog files? The reason I ask is because I am funning various scripts with set -x so that I can track them in the error log, now due to an increase in runs my errorlogs are growing too large. Is there a way to change how the system maintains these logs?

Quick question, in you script I see you put {} around your variables when you call them and that you double up on some other things like [[]] (())

any reason for this?

Both Bourne (sh) and Korn shell accept variables in ${this} format. It's safer to use because if the variable is followed immediately by some $othertext (and 'other' is the name of your variable) it won't be expanded, however if you use ${other}text it will.

[[ is the Korn shell version of [ and is built-in to the shell so is more efficient. It is also more powerful; you can use shell pattern matching.

((i=i+1)) for example is exactly equivalent to let i=i+1

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back