Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain logon issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerami1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
US
I have 2 Domain controllers on my network that are W2K servers. I have a third DC on the network that is NT4. One of the W2K machines is the PDC (of course). The issue that I am having is:
When the W2K PDC is offline, no one can log on to the network. Any such attempts produce a message that says 'No Domain found' or something like that. Basically, the other domain controllers are not doing me any good. I have checked and made sure that 'Round-robin' is enabled for logging on to the servers. Logon requests are supposed to be taking turns with the PDC's for load balancing, but it doesn't appear to be happening. Can anyone give me any advise on why this is happening? I had a consultant work on this and he advised me of the Round robin issue (which was already set up) and then had no idea why it wasn't working. Basically, when my one server is offline, no one gets on the network.

Help!!

what operating system are your clients running? If they aren't W2K or above, then they'll be using NetBIOS / WINS to connect to the domain controller, not DNS so this could be the problem?

Thanks for your reply. I am running XP, 2000, and win98se. However, when this 2000 DC server is offline, I can not even get another 2000 server to log on to the network. I can not get anything to log on. Says No domain found. If it was just 98 clients I would understand, but it's everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back