Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Controller test 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diblik

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2001
US
OS is NT4

I have one PDC and one BDC. I wanted to upgrade the BDC server but when I unplug it, all logins stopped (no authentication). So my question is/are: Is it possible the that the BDC thinks it is the PDC? How can I test this? How can I test the PDC (the one that should be the PDC)?

TIA

Server manager will declare which server is currently playing what role.

Server Manager says Server X is PDC, as it should be. But when server Y (the BDC) is removed from the network logins fail. ??? Since then we added a second BDC server Z but logins still fail when server Y is removed. It does not make scenes.

Sorry for the confusion! To be more specific logins to the network do work,(PDC working) logins to Exchange do not under the above conditions. Sorry.

You have a name resolution issue between your Exchange server and the domain.
Check how netbios name resoution is happening currently. The Exchange box only knows where to find the BDC.
Check WINS add static route to PDC if available.

Bottom line is tell exchange about PDC and where to find it.

Hope it helps.
-Hugh

Thanks for the pointer! Looks like we had "use LMHosts" enabled which points directly to server Y! As soon as we have a chance I will disable LMHosts and see if that fixes it. PS - Should I have WINS enable or just let DNS handle it?

Thanks!

DNS can handle the netbios name resolution if configured correctly. I've just found in a simple private network, that WINS is quick and easy to get up and running.

DNS is taking over as the preferred method, especially with Win2000 becoming more common.

There is no right or wrong answer. What ever gives the best advantage in your environment is the way to go.

Cheers
-Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back