Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

document() error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bont

Programmer
Sep 7, 2000
US
I have a case when I use the document() function to open an external XMl.

When I use a static name such as this:
Code:
document('DVD_Cat_5.xml')
it works great.

if I use a dynamic name, such as this:
Code:
document(.)
it errors with:
Code:
msxml3.dll error '800c0006' 
The system cannot locate the object specified. 
/multimedia/movies/index_all.asp, line 27

I have verified that the xslt is indeed passing the valid value, with no additional white spaces. What I am guessing is that it is having some problem finding the file. Please help.

Does it work with a variable? ie:
Code:
<xsl:variable name="url" select="DVD_Cat_5.xml"/>

document($url)

Why not use:
Code:
<xsl:variable name="url" select="."/>

document($url)

Because it is not that simple. The entire concept was to use an XML file as a control source. In this case I think I am one step ahead.

I have modified my ASP to add a param with the document name, if the key value is NOT "all" or null.

Then in my first template, if the param has length, I call document($paramname)
else
document(.)

Truthfully, I would like to know why document works with "." when the control file is static and I am using the load() function, but when I switch to dynamic and have to use the loadXML() function, it fails to find the file. I believe it lies beneath in how the server finds the file. I probably wouldn't have this problem if I could specify a direct path to the file, but I cannot since it is not my own server, by one that can have many virtual paths.

that, i beleive, is a question for Microsoft to answer.

I cannot find any definitive source discussing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back