Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhoffman3

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2009
US
I am running windows XP Pro on all of my client machines and I have a domain controller setup that all of my clients log onto. We are using static IP addressing, should all of my client machines point to the DNS server as the Primary DNS or to the ISP DNS?

we have 8 locations which all connect via VPN connection to our main location. They all have different internet service providers. And I want them to go out through there pipe for normal internet traffice but come through our pipe obviously for file and printer sharing. Could I use wins for file and printer sharing and point there clients to there IP's DNS?

you HAVE to point to your internal DNS for AD stuff to work correctly. On the internal DNS server you define a "forwarder" pointing to the ISP DNS.
In this way clients always use internal resolution first, if the internal DNS has no answer say for the forwarder will talk to ISP DNS, get a result and give that to the client (keeping the answer in cache in case some other user asks the same address later)
If you have only one DNS server for the 8 sites (do you?) you will have qute a bit of DNS traffic this way, but it's the best solution for having a functional AD domain.
If your routers (in 7 remaining sites) have a DHCP/DNS function you can let them be the local DNS servers. (Their own DNS server would be the central one, all local clients point to the router for DNS. Client would talk to loacl router, if answer no yet cached ask main DNS, who would in turn ask ISP's DNS if it's a internet address, because of caching this woul be more optimal on DNS traffic over VPN)
If you use static IPs, all printers and file servers can be defined in main DNS, no WINS needed (and not recommended anyway!)

G.

at the site, configure your XP DNS to point to AD. Make sure the gateway is set (really recommend DHCP). Then on the firewall, setup split tunneling for all Internet traffic to go out locally instead of going across your VPN link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back