Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin5922

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2003
GB
I am running Windows XP Pro with SP1.

In the Advanced TCP\IP Properties of the NIC, I have added entries for a secondary and tertiary DNS server.

I have noticed that only the primary DNS server is queried. If the primary DNS server does not have the answer to the query the secondary and tertiary servers are not queried.

1. Is this normal?
2. If not, how can it be fixed?

Start, Help and Support, look for "Tools" on the right-hand panel listing, and Select Network Diagnostics. Check the boxes for all tests, and run.

It should tell you if it is able to access the listing of DNS serves and what their response was to a query.

By default your PC looks at the "Primary" DNS server. As long as that server answers, your PC will not switch to the Alternate DNS server, even if the Primary does not know the answer. There is no way around this that I have heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back