Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADGraphicsIT

Technical User
Apr 7, 2004
US
At my job we use software called Tigerpaw CRM+. Everyone at the office has it installed on their computer and needs to access it throughout the day.
Last weekend, our "tigerpaw server" went down, so my boss decided to upgrade its parts, etc. The old "tigerpaw server" was also a secondary domain controller (not sure if that has any relevance to this or not). Anyways, I built a new server, gave it the same computer name and IP address as the old server, but now it doesnt seem like DNS (which is one another server we'll call "alpha") is working correctly.
What happens is this: If someone cannot access tigerpaw from their workstation (tigerpaw connects to the server fine one minute and then fails randomly minutes later), I immediately do a ping for the tigerpaw server. It is supposed to be a static IP of 192.168.0.3. instead of the ping working successfully, it says timed out, but if I ping the IP (192.168.0.3) it finds the server just fine. So basically it seems as if the server name is only being "attached" to its static IP half of the time. The IP is there and ALWAYS able to ping, but from a workstation I am only able to ping the name of the server half the time. Is this a dns issue? Any help would be great!

-Ryan-
Network/Systems Administrator
CAD Graphics West Inc.

Could it be that it is using cached records? Have you cleared both your cache ipconfig /flushdns and the cache on your dns server? dnscmd /clearcache i think?

Sounds like something is stale out there. Let us know!

Thanks.

Cory

You may want to see if the server is registering itself in DNS, or better yet create a host record for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back