Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS DOES NOT RESOLVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigtime

Technical User
May 13, 2008
Hi I am setting up my own web server for the first time so bare with me if there is a simple solution for this. Here are the details.

I am trying to configure a (linux) web server behind a router, host a few public websites.

I have Bind9 Installed. Both the server and my control panel indicate Bind is functioning properly so I'm thinking it has something to do with my DNS setup. The server is using a static IP option.

I port forwrded HTTP, FTP, DNS requsts to the IP of the server in my LAN.

I have pointed one of my domains to my external IP address but when I type in the domain, it says "cant find the server at xyz.com".

It seems that everything on the server is connected right because the external IP address resolves but the domain doesnt.

Based off of that information, what could I do to get my domain to resolve to my server?

Did you purchase and register the domain name and set up the DNS records with your ISP?

Yes the domain is purchased. I set up the DNS records (ns1 + ns2) with the domain registrar if thats what you mean? I did not contact my ISP for anything yet. Is there a step that I am missing?

Do you have a static or Dynamic IP Address?

The server is set up for a static IP address.

How long ago did you set this up? Sometimes it takes 48 hrs. to propegate through DNS. I'm not 100% sure if your ISP needs to do anything. The public IP Address needs to be connected with the domain name and A and PTR records need to be set up. If you care to share the domain name, someone can do an NSLOOKUP or you can test it through DNSSTUFF.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back