Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribute reg hack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanvb

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
CA
I have a registry change that I need to distribute to WinXP clients only. Can anyone tell me what the best way is to do that? I've looked under keyword search and haven't found any specifics on this.

Thanks.

Have done this in group policy, presume just create a package with the following and create an advert for the batch file which is advertised to XP collection

batch file
regedit /s RegistryHacks.reg

then a registry file saved as RegistryHacks.reg (you can export registry keys from regedit) eg.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"EnableNegotiate"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000

Master of Disaster.....Recovery

Thanks - worked like a charm.

Hi,

I've been trying to do this for a while now. The problem with have is our users don't have access to import keys into the registry.

The key i'm trying to import goes under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, now if I try to use the runas command. This imports it under the users registry that i'm using the runas command for. (Not the user thats logged in)

Any idea's?

Cheers,

Nick

It took me a while to figure out how to do this through sms, but i got it to work. The way i did it was to make an executable that entered in solely the Registry entries i wanted to make, these were settings to make the remote tools work after applying xp sp2. You have to download the "Microsoft SMS Installer". This is a program that will allow you to compile/recompiler installers to your needs. This is a very handy tool. once i made the correct entries i sent out the executable like a regular sms package, with no problems.

I have to ditto what JPlevel said. Whenever I need to distribute a reg hack I create a small package using SMS Installer. It works like a charm.

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back