Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Read Error Occurred Two Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2004
US
Here is the situation: I have a 20gig HD on my laptop partitioned with win 2k on the C: drive, the D: is blank. The computer sees the drive and from recovery console I can write to the D: drive. However, I cannot access C: at all. The original error was ntoskrnl.exe could not be found. Now im getting a disk read error, press ctrl alt del to restart. Also when I try to install win 2k on the D: partition it recognizes it as C: so I can't install it. Is this software or is my drive shot? Is there a way to use my blank partition to save my files? Thank you for help in advance!

If you can remove the little screw retaining the hard disk, slide it out and identify its manufacturer.

Then go to the manufacturer's website and download their free diagnostic/setup utility.

Do the non-destructive tests offered. This will unambiguously answer the question of the drive state.

See also:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back