Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discovery Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
What is the Arcserve Discovery Service?

I do run Arcserve 2000 Advanced edition, I do backup other servers over the network. Some using the Arcserve agent, others do not use the arcserve agent.

I read an article saying that turning off this service would speed up the backups. I have also read something saying that it is not needed.

What would I loose by turning it off?

Thanks in advance,
Debi

This is a brief description from CA's website:

"The ARCserve Discovery Service is how ARCserve communicates with its variant remote components. Its through this service that ARCserve is able to do an auto-discovery of the NT/2000/95 client agents, find remote database agents on servers, and keep track of SAN/ELO components on the network." -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Stopping discovery service will no ways improve the backup performance.

STORAGEBOY

If you are connected to a large WAN, you may want to limit the subnets it checks by running DSCONFIG in the arcserve installation directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back