Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling ctrl-alt-del at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

medric2

MIS
Mar 18, 2003
GB
I've just upgraded a computer from Win95 to Win2000. I usually wipe them down completely first and install onto a clean disk. After the upgrade I have a system which insists on me pressing ctrl-alt-del to login. This doesn't happen on a clean install.
I am logging in to a Novell network as well as the workstation so I checked the Novell knowledge base first. According to them there are two ways of enabling this feature:
1. Users and Passwords - Advanced Tab - tick checkbox
2. Run MMC and load group policy and set in there.

The upgrade process seems to have used method 2 as when I look at the first option the ticked box is greyed out and cannot be unticked.
Novell says that to undo the second option requires a large number of changes to the registry. They don't say what these changes are and I can't find any help on the MS knowledgebase on this matter.
I ran MMC and tried changing the setting there but it has made no difference so I guess Novell may be correct.
Does anyone have a list of the registry changes I need to make or an easier way to get rid of this need to press cntl-alt-del. I still want the login screen to show and not go straight in as an assumed user.
The computer is networked but is not in a domain.
Thanks
Dave

I read in one of the Microsoft texts for Active Directory that issues may arrise when you try to apply a GPO to a machine that has been upgraded to Windows 2000 as opposed to a clean install. The way around this is to open one of the security templates (basicws) and set the policy, then import the security template into the GPO. You can find the security templates by adding the snap-in "Securtiy Templates".

go to control panel and user account then click advance tab and uncheked the require eser to press Ctrl alt delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back