Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between ODS and DSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe69008

Programmer
Jun 29, 2005
FR
Someone can explain the main difference betwen both because according a lot of person, they are identical and have the same use.

Thanks
Best regards

Please explain what ODS and DSA mean to you, or to the people to which you are referring. What do the acronyms stand for?

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

excuse me for the acronyms.
ODS=means Operation data Store
DSA=Data storage area or data staging are (I am not sure)

to me, I think ODS and DSA are the same, but the only difference is that DSA is made without referential integrity and ODS is used to validate refential integrity.
What do you think about that?

Some can please explain me what means Surogate Key?

thanks a lot
best regards

the search box here or google is a great place for these answers. There are tons of them.

Well, there are some philosophical issues here. Kimball, whose architecture includes a Data Staging Area, indicates that the Data Staging Area is like the kitchen and the dimensional star schema like the dining room. No one eats in the kitchen (except the cook). So, Kimball's DSA is off limits except for developers preparing data for downstream.

Inmon (et al) architecture includes a relational ODS which feeds dimensional data marts, the entire collection of data structures being called a data warehouse (or Corporate Information Factory). Operational Data Stores often have more uses than just to feed the data warehouse. The ODS can be accessed by the user community, or selected members of the user community.

So, depending on your terminology and the architecture to which you refer, you can pretty much say that the DSA and ODS are similar or that they are different. It depends on what the ODS is being used for a particular organization.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

So if we start a DWH project with

1/Immon's philosophy, so we use an ODS and the DWH is in 3NF and at least, we create datamarts and we can attack

2/ Kimball 's philosophy, so we use an DSA (like a temporary space) to create the datawarehouse(collection of datamart)

thanks o lot for your precision. It's more clear to me now.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back