Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up vs. Lan Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

DViper

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hey All,

I keep getting DNS errors when I try to access the internet through a dial up connection. Our mobile users have a dial-up connection that they use when they are out of the office. When they are in the office, Internet access is fine. When they try to use the dial up connection out of the office, you can ping IP addresses, but DNS cannot resolve the site name. For example, I can ping google's ip address, but when I type ping I get "unknown host". The problem is exactly the same for every laptop in the company. We are not using a proxy client either. Any ideas?

Sounds like they are not getting DNS server addresses via the dial up connection.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

quoted from

Can ping public IPs but not web sites

Symptoms: 1. You can ping any public IPs but not web sites. 2. The routing table and ipconfig look OK but you can't browse any web sites.

Resolutions: 1. Check the DNS, for example using nslookup to troubleshooting.
2. To test, disable any firewall. If it works after disabling firewall, re-configure the firewall and make sure the firewall doesn't black port 43..
3. Check the status of winsock.dll, wsock32.dll or download winsockfix to fix the problem
4. Also try to disable DNS client service if you don't have domain network.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back