Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up proxy settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcanfer

MIS
Aug 9, 2001
GB
I've got a config problem with a couple of Dell laptops. They can access the net fine when on our LAN, but when dialled up they seem to forget or ignore the proxy settings.

They dial up directly to our modems on a RAS box and not via an ISP. They can access mail fine etc, but once in IE they refuse to use the proxy and bomb out. I've tried back tracking from IE6 to IE5 with no joy.

If I go to the settings of the dial up connection through Internet Options, there are no proxy settings. I've gone through the registry and put in the relevant details in internet settings for the users and local machine keys and still no luck.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

IE 5 and later use seperate proxy settings for each dial-up connection and ignores lan proxy settings when dialed up. Go back to your internet options, to the connections tab, highlight the correct dial-up settings and hit settings. Add the proxy info there. Marc Creviere

OK that has confirmed something else for me....those settings are actually greyed out - I'm thinking that, that is most probably a group policy setting.

Any idea which reg keys can be used to "manually" enter the proxy server, proxy overrride and proxy enable keys?

Thanks

Jim

If it is a group policy and you change it in the registry, the next time that group policy's applied it will revert to the way it was. Easy way to test would be to stick the machine in it's own OU that has policy inheritance blocked. Make sure you restart the laptop once you've done that to clear out any old policy settings. Marc Creviere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back