Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete smtp queues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbxrider

Programmer
Sep 23, 2008
US
i didn't have relay provisioning right and got infected with swen and now have almost 300 bogus queues, mostly with only 1-5 emails. i've got them all frozen. i have been going crazy trying to find a way to delete queues, hopefully en masse, but so far only seen how to delete the messages in queues but not the queues themselves. there was some vague talk about just deleting files in the queue folder, but i have 5 queues that are valid and there doesn't seem to be a way to cross reference the cryptic explorer file names with the actual queue names. there must be some way to delete queues? yes?

thanks for the reply about the utility, aqadmcli, it made fast work of the messages in the queues. however, i have misunderstood the queues, especially the spam/relay queues. even after they are emptied, and unwanted relaying has been stopped, evidently they don't go away for 2 days, ( which seems weird and there is still no way to delete them.

all the queues WERE associated with my one smtp connector, so i deleted the connector, but of course that has also deleted all the 'valid' queues that were part of that connector. see, for typical list of what i'm calling 'valid' queues. at one point they all showed up again but have since disappeared. at this point i'm assuming/hoping the valid queues will be 'created' on a as needed basis by exchange. so this is all quite unsettling, confusing, educational, and quite time consuming.

Yes, valid queues will be created as required. The 2 days is by design.

Quoting web sites of 2 MVPs...cool.

a couple last points to clarify if possible
- if a queue is frozen will it not be eliminated by exchange in the 2 day cycle?
- is there some way to determine which queue is which file in the exchange queue folder, and if so can that file just be deleted to get rid of the undesirable queue
- if a bogus queue is frozen and emptied, and the allowed relaying is halted, can the bogus queue still be used by the other smtp? because it already established something like authentication that isn't halted by new non relay provisioning?

bbxrider said:
a couple last points to clarify if possible
- if a queue is frozen will it not be eliminated by exchange in the 2 day cycle?
Hmmm... interesting question. I *believe* that it would need to be thawed before that will happen. It would certainly have to be empty in either case.

bbxrider said:
- is there some way to determine which queue is which file in the exchange queue folder, and if so can that file just be deleted to get rid of the undesirable queue
Not that I'm aware of, and I'm not a big fan of just deleting the file.

bbxrider said:
- if a bogus queue is frozen and emptied, and the allowed relaying is halted, can the bogus queue still be used by the other smtp? because it already established something like authentication that isn't halted by new non relay provisioning?

Not if it's frozen, of course. A queue is nothing special. If it disappears, the next time an email is sent to that domain, a new queue is created. And SMTP doesn't use authentication by default.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

ok thanks again for all the help, one last thing, is there some online exchange (2003) tutorials for basics, big picture, especially how exch interacts with smtp, pop, and/or imap, that would be recommended

Well, POP and IMAP are evil. Forget they exist. Bannish them to the dungeon.

Two sites come to mind. One, I created the father of, And the other, I write for.

Not that I'm biased, of course.... :)

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back