Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Login???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coderifous

Programmer
Dec 13, 2001
US
I'm setting up Windows 2000 on a 'floating' laptop and would like it too not prompt for user/pass when it boots up. Instead if it could just use the guest account by default, that would be very nice.

By 'floating' I mean that several people in the office take it to breifings and presentations and such. So I don't want it to be user specific. This laptop is a whore that doesn't care who's logged in.

Is there a way to make my laptop permiscuous by default?

--jim

Under users and passwords control panel click on the account(the guest account) so it is selected. While it is highlighted uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password" box. Then push Apply and there should be a dialogue asking for the password used to perform an auto-logon.

Things to keep in mind: It is still possible for a user to logoff and login under other accounts. With this in mind, I would recommend passwording or deleting all other accounts in the Users and Passwords control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back