Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deadbeats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2005
US
Anybody else have a lot of deadbeats where they work? I think that is such a morale and budget killer. We are about half deadbeats, and they are treated the same as the hard workers, it is truly baffling. You want to defeat outsourcing? Get rid of all the deadbeats, that'll save 50% of the IT budget right there, then you'll see India and China shrivel up and blow away. Oh btw I'm just a "Regular American", don't have a clue why I chose that stupid handle.

Well, then.

I say that the incompetents are far worse than the deadbeats. I would rather you do nothing and stay the he11 out of my way, than punch out line after line of UNMAINTAINABLE code. For what it's worth, I say let the deadbeats be, they're the ones' gunna has to live with they self. (grammar broken down here on purpose.)

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

Gooser, unfortunately I have to agree, we have a real deadbeat here who does nothing but also does not break anything. The worst are the ones who know just enough to be dangerous and are out to prove themselves..

If more than 1 goose are geese, why aren't more than 1 moose meese??
[censored][censored][censored]

--and about your quote...

If a mother goose has babies, then they must be the goose's geese...but watch out for the 'alternative lifestyle' geese, they can be really confusing, for then they'd be the gooses' geese...but even worse is when they have babies, for they'd [collectively] be the gooses' geese's geese! And the gooey stuff that collects on their backs, of course it would be the gooses' geese's geese's goose-grease.

or maybe not.

Gooser, one who gooses!

Yeah but still doesn't 'splain why more than one moose are a herd and not meese...

If more than 1 goose are geese, why aren't more than 1 moose meese??
[censored][censored][censored]

I don't wonder if some of it is being overly-pc. e.g.

"Jane Smith isn't a deadbeat, she's just 'learning'. You're being overly negative. You need to work on that."

I have a person in my company that I've been struggling with trying to be open-minded, but I know others have issues with that person too. But when I talk to my boss about it, she tells me I'm being overly-picky about it. (She's a good boss too, I think she's just trying to be pc about this specific situation.)

You don't want to be so open-minded that your brains fall out. Fire 'em and move on.

--Gooser

some people do not learn as fast as others, that does not mean they are not going to be as good or better than the rest in time.
i have a friend who is dislexic, he reads slower, but does not learn slower. he just takes in written input slower than most. beyond that, he is incredibly talented technically to the guru level with what he does. the rest may come up the ladder faster then he does, but few ever reach the heights he does. many people have a hard time admitting this type of situation to others.

i do go out of my way to help deadbeats, but never without noting officially the time spent to help them, and not unless approved by the boss.

Previously I posted about my former job and the deadbeats. Here is the update:

The Service Manager use to have 10 very qualified technicians. The Service Manager now is down to 3. She replaced the 7 with 4 people who have never worked in the industry before. Some of those that are no longer there are the ones that spoke out about the deadbeats.

Moral of the story I think is...Those that can and do work will finally reach a point and leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back