Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dcomcnfg settings problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyAsfand

Programmer
Nov 27, 2003
GB

Hi All.

I've got two PCs ( Win98 + WinXP) connected thourgh Workgroup, WinXP machines has installed the Application server and

Win98 (that has installed Cilent Application ) using DCOM architecture.

First Server (WinXP) setting:

Dcomcnfg Settings
- Default Authentication : None
- Default Impersonation : Impersonate

For default COM security, i've include "Everyone" and "System" acccounts for user rights for COM COmponent.

Secondly Client (Win98) machine settings :
- Default Authentication : None
- Default Impersonation : Impersonate

Now whenever client makes a call to server (WinXp) machine, the ActiveX EXE component invoke onto Server machine, i can

find ActiveX EXe component running through "TASK MANAGER". It means that ActiveX Component successfully launched but client

application hangs and doesn't show any result.

Now after all doing this above procedure, then include one more PC that has installed Windows 2000 Professional with

exactly same configuration that i've configured on WinXp machine. This Windows 2000 machine is now acting as a Appication

Server and client has assigned towards this new server. You can't imagine, its working fine without any problem.
I really wonder that why it doesn't work in case of Window XP with Win98 client and works fine with Windows 2000

Professional.

Could you please tell me whats going wrong with configuration.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciatable.

Cheers

Asfand Iqbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back