Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmIdiot

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2001
US
In my database folder I have a number of files with the name astpsdat.001 through astpsdat.030, most of the files have no size. However the first 3 at large, they account for over 2 gigs of space. It is only backing up a total of about 9 gigs. Is this normal. I have the prune job set to run and prune after 30 days.Any tips of how to help or what those files are?

Hi,
Astpsdat files are files in the database that are concerned with recording the database path and filenames (as well as many other details such as size etc...), This is why this should be the larger of the database files, BUT for what your backing up it should not be that big. I think you should initialise the database, start from scratch, then repopulate it with the incoming backups (done automatically), if 30 day pruning doesn't work for you (which doesn't seem that it does) then try a 15 day prune. The prune job is there to tame your database.

G

Could you give me a little more information on how to initialize the database and start from scratch? how exactly do I do that? Thanks again for the help!

Here's what I got from CA support when asking about a formula to calculate an estimate of the size of the VLDB database:

---
The initial size of database with the first backup = (# of dirs * 110) + (# of files * 250)
For additional file or directory, it takes about 96 bytes.
---

Hope it helps!

/Nicolaj

You initialise the db through the server admin.

click on the database tab and select operation and then initialise database!

Push the button! Go on... you know you want to... No Pain No Gain

and what if the option is greyed out ?

Be sure to use the VLDB and not the SQL database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back