Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Database engine continues to fail???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilg

Programmer
Feb 16, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am using Arcserve 2000 advanced edition. But my job always seems to fail as the database engine turns itself off.

I recieve in the logs:

E E5110 The Database is no longer available
Database engine stopping
Database engine shutting down

I have plenty of room on the database drive and just can't think of any reason for this to happen.

Although I am having problems with my drive at the moment where it complains about faulty tapes although they are new, but I suspect the drive. Surely this wouldn't cause the engine to stop???

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

I have recently installed SP5????

Does the arcserve.log file show a asterisk (*) before the Job ID number? If so, you have a corrupt Arcserve VLDB database.

I am using VLDB database I do have an (*) before the sometimes before the job number but it does not seem to be consistant. What can I do if I have a corrupted database???

Initialize the database from the server admin

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Initializing is not possible when the database is not running.
Reinstall ARCserve or install a demo version of ARCserve on a different machine, stop all services with the batchfile cstop.bat and copy the database directory to your live server (do a cstop on this machine too).
Both workarounds but you'll have ARCserve running again.

regards

Martin

Does the DB engine start if you start it manually... ???

Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

The DB engine starts manually and works for a while but then fails sometimes.

When I try to open the server admin I get an error saying failed to create empty document?????

Tried removing the raaaaxxx.chg, the rdm.chi and rdm.chk files in the ARCserve database directory and the restarting the database engine ??

regards

I will give that ago tomorrow..... Cheers!

FYI having a * in the job number only means that the jobs are failing to connect with the database. It is not the cause of the problem, just another symptom.

I decided to re-install and this solved the problem, Thanks for your help people.

Hi - I'm getting the same problem as PILG - but it only happens after a database prune. I haven't tried reinstalling yet but the way I'm getting round it at the moment is to put the prune on 'hold' and only go to 'ready' once a week. After pruning I re-start the whole server. I do that because I KNOW that works and I'm fortunate enough to be able to take a short outage. I think it would work if I just restart the database but I got fed-up messing around with re-running jobs...

One day I'll re-install and see what happens.

Hope this helps pin-point the actual circumstances as to when it's likely to occur.

regards

Is your database very large? In theory the Raima database can support very large amounts of data, but in the real world bad database performance can cause headaches. If your database is larger than 6GB (give or take depending on your hardware and ARCserve usage) upgrading to SQL Server is a good idea. It performs a lot better and handles larger amounts of data with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back