Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Crystal Reports with SQL ODBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbob

MIS
Apr 25, 2002
US
I have been converting all of our Crystal reports to MS SQL, when I select trused connection I don't get prompted for a usernamd and password, It only works with Domain admin rights.

I would like to use this for domain users, is there a way to give them rights?

or a better way to go about this.

Thanks,

Bob Zaback

Personally, I use the ODBC choice and set up a DSN on the computers pointing back to the database that I want to run the report for.

I use trusted connection for the DSN setup and then add groups from the domain/server in Enterprise Manager to control the permissions.

Kevin Scheeler

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, within enterprise manager you can add users/Groups from Active Directory?

Please be more specific.

Thanks for you help.

Bob

Yes,

First you would add a group in Active Directory and add the network users in the group that you want together. Then in security in Enterprise Manager you would add the group and assign database rights to the group vs. creating a SQL user.

In Enterprise Manager when you create a group/user, you can choose the domain that you are part of and add a specific user from that domain or a group from the domain.

Kevin Scheeler

If by trusted connection, you mean your using Windows Integrated Security rather than sql security, you won't get a request for password - it will use the AD matched by a security setting in SS 2000 to authenticate the user. If your not getting data you must have something wrong in the user set up in SQl itself. I don't have SQL 2000 in front of me right now, I'll try to drop in when I have a chance to fiddle with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back