Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CRC Errors on modem diagnostics

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebaglee

Technical User
May 16, 2003
GB
hi have installed a adsl modem i have noticed that i am getting crc errors can someone let me know what that is and indicates

CRC is Cyclic Redundancy Check a test to be sure the packet sent is the same as the packet received, without line noise added in transit.

You may wish to be sure your DSL phone line inside your house is as new and as direct as possible (no extensions, if possible) past the demarc box, you are not allowed to replace parts, so if it is the phone company's line that adds the errors, you cannot effect them.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

great!
i have a 10 foot extension that takes the ...the cause?demarc box? defination please

I am in the US in a single family dwelling, the demarc (I think it is short for point of demarcation) is a grey box that you can open half of, from there on into the house the wiring is your respnsibility, from the side only the phone company can open back to the pole and on the their office, you can't touch.

When I said extensions I mean no addtional phones//modems/faxes/answering machines.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back