Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Content filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iconSYS1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2004
US
So my Sonicwall CF 2100 has blinking alarm lights and is making our internet horribly slow. I've disabled filtering for the time being which allows us to use the internet, but I cannot find anywhere what the alarm light actually means. The manual just says it refers to a critical failure. Anyone have any idea?
If I cannot get this apliance back up and running i'll be looking for a new content filter with the same capabilities. Since I havent looked into this in years, I'm wondering what others are using? I like the fact that the CF 2100 can connect to our active directory and I can have multiple rules and policies in place for different groups and users. I'd need that kind of functionality in a new solution.

I love Sonicwall's UTM Firewall appliances and use them in my school district. I don't really care for their content filtering though and only enable it as part of my firewall if my dedicated filter solution fails (which it's never). I use a product call iBoss from Phantom Technologies.
They are very much on the top of technology when it comes to web filtering in my opinion. I played with several appliances from different manufacturers including Barracuda, St. Bernard, Blue Coat, Cymphonix, and WebSense; but found none of them were even close to being able to do what the iBoss could do. I too have it tied to AD and filtering polices are based on membership to AD security groups. It also has a cool feature of being able to record video of the users desktop for several minutes via VNC if that user exceeds a policy rule I created (i.e.. searched for "sex" or some other keyword so many times within a specified time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back