Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consumer Beta Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

xit

Technical User
May 29, 2004
US
Downloaded it, burned ISO & installed, pretty nice so far. From power button to desktop is less than one & one half mins. on a five year old desktop.

Yes, it is amazing what forcing hibernation on users who don't already use it accomplishes in Win8. That's where they said a lot of the boot speed improvement came from.

I wonder how the corporate sector will see this....

Tiles? Hmmmmmm............

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Actually, this timing was from OFF to desktop, not hibernation to desktop. There is much to learn with this system as it involves some things I am never involved with on a daily basis.

From what I've read much of the kernel always hibernates:
Now here’s the key difference for Windows 8: as in Windows 7, we close the user sessions, but instead of closing the kernel session, we hibernate it.

I suspect you are like many who have hibernation confused with standby and sleep modes. A hibernated system is completely powered off.

Is that what the 256MB c:\swapfile.sys is for, which sits alongside c:\pagefile.sys and c:\hiberfil.sys? It does not seem to be documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back