Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

paveway

Programmer
Jan 6, 1999
AU
I have only connected computers to the internet using Windows 95/98/NT and Linux, but never windows 3.11. Can someone please tell me what is involved with setting this up. For example, how to install the modem software (drivers etc), and the TCP/IP side of things etc.<br>
Thanks

I have never done it, but I read that you need to install Winsock for Windows 3.1. You may be able to download it from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> or <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"><br>
If you go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> you can probably find a 16 bit browser that works under Win31.

Hey,<br>
Your isp should have software for Windows 3.1 internet connectivity. The best-of-breed for tcp/ip stacks in the days of Windows 3.1 was Trumpet Winsock. Not the most simpliest thing to set up, but it's great.<br>
<br>
Microsoft once distributed a dialer similiar to the Win9x/NT dial-up networking with Internet Explorer. I am not too sure if it is still available. You can go to microsoft.com and download the IE5 for Win3.1, it should have a dialer that you can install independant of the browser.

When I used Win 3.1, I installed Netscape 3.0, which included a dialer. Later I upgraded to 3.04 Gold and then to 4.08 and each upgrade used the original dialer. I do not know if this will comply to to the newer dial-up standards that a lot of ISP require, but at least it's a start.<br>Fran

If you use IE3.02 (For win 3.x)you will find very easy to set up...no fiddling with Winsock etc. 3.11 will not work with software modem but if using ISA or external, let IE detect the modem then change the drivers if you wish. Works fine as a standard modem. A little trap is when programme writes to autoexec.bat, make sure &quot;win&quot; is on the bottom line AFTER your TCP/IP settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Have fun :)

thanks to all who replied, i installed ie 3.02 and it works fine

First you need a winsock software. e.g. TrumpetWinsock, shareware.
In the Trupet menu, you can enter phonenumber, username &amp; pwd to the provider.

As modem-driver, you can choose a standard one in the control panel.
Or read the manual from the modem.

The Browser, netscape 3.x, you can still get it from netscape.

Hello,
I seem to have a similar problem.I've managed to setup Microsoft's network client in MSDOS in my old 80286 and everything worked all right with TCP/IP on it.
Now I want to have network access inside windows for workgroups 3.10 (not 3.11) that can be run on a 80286 machine. I mean I want to browse the internet inside windows. Is it possible to setup my IP address,Gateway,DHCP,etc from DOS and make those setting visible to Windows? I've read somewhere else something about winpkt driver that uses DOS tsr to give access to the NIC from inside Windows.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Come on you guru guys out there,please help me!

> i installed ie 3.02 and it works fine

IE4(16 bit) works rather well under 3.11 also

Is it possible to use winsock not with a dialer (trumpet,netscape's,microsoft's),but in a LAN connection?I have a realy old pc,80286.

I would think that Windows for Workgroups would be needed.

From "Short for Windows Socket, Winsock is an Application Programming Interface (API) for developing Windows programs that can communicate with other machines via the TCP/IP protocol. Windows 95 and Windows NT comes with Dynamic Link Library (DLL) called winsock.dll that implements the API and acts as the glue between Windows programs and TCP/IP connections.
In addition to the Microsoft version of winsock.dll, there are other freeware and shareware versions of winsock.dll. However, there is no official standard for the Winsock API, so each implementation differs in minor ways."

Just a note, ccording to the Resource Kits, both Windows 3.xx and WFW3.11 will work on an 80286 in Standard Mode only, require an 80386 for the 386Enhanced mode.

Thanks for the help Blujacket
Do you advise me to upgrade to wfw 3.11?I currently run wfw 3.10 because I had heard that only **that** version could run on my 80286.After the installation,is network support embedded in wfw3.11,or do I have to install the tcp/ip addon for wfw3.11?I've seen somewhere a 16-bit version of tcp/ip addon.I know I cannot install wfwtcp32.exe!

I don't want to program with winsock,I need to network my old PC and make it able to access the internet.

You probably will need WFW3.11 but in all honesty I'd have to say that without 386Enhanced [386 and faster CPU] the Internet will definitely frustrate you. Too much of it is graphics and will take way too long to load.

Another thing I used on my 386 and later CPUs with Win3.11 is Win32S, could help things be easier but don't know if it will work on a 286.

Go to the bottom of this page to download it.

I believe you do need the TCP/IP but haven't actually used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back