Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring VWIC2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phnechic

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
I'm trying to configure the controller port on a cisco 2801 router with a VWIC2 card. What needs to be configured in order to see the controller ports on the VWIC? It seems like there is configuration that needs to take place before there is even a Controller T1 0/0/0 interface available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the T1/E1 version of the VWIC module then you have to use the "card type" command to tell it which mode to operate in. If it's a T1, do something like this:

#card type t1 0 0 0

The numbers after "t1" specify which physical module you're configuring.

Thanks, John. Do you remember what we need to do to program the serial interface?

The controller 0/0/0 will appear after you enter the card type command. The Serial0/0/0:0 interface will appear once you configure the controller. You'll need to configure the controller as a full T1, i.e. configure for timeslots 1-24. You can refer to another new router with a similar config to get the details.

Here's what happens when I try to configure the controller:

#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
RSCSTL(config)#controller t1 0/0/0
RSCSTL(config-controller)#channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
%Insufficient resources to create channel group

I'm a little afraid that we bought the wrong WIC. It is a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 and it only has one port. I just asked Krista to order what we used at ASPNPK, but this doesn't look right to me.

That is a little strange. Do you have a clock source configured yet? If so, do you have the keyword "independent" configured? This shouldn't matter since you only have one port, but that error can happen in various two-port configurations using independent clocking.

I just did a quick search of Cisco's site and I don't see why this would happen on a single port module. I'll ponder it a bit more and get back to you.

By the way, that is the correct module. In fact, you could have just used a WIC-1DSU-T1-V2, instead, since you won't need to support any QSIG voice trunks at the smaller locations. However, I think they're pretty close in price after discount, so it's not a big deal.

I'm still checking into this but I'm not seeing any good leads yet. You probably should open a TAC case to see if this is abnormal behavior or perhaps a known issue. I just checked the Bug Toolkit and didn't see anything.

What IOS is on there? 12.4(7)?

Yes, I did get the clocking set up, and the IOS is:
The Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3f), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3). I depoloyed a 2820 XM so we can get the bank running, but I'm still playing with this one too. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Hmm....that's a pretty early release. You might want to try upgrading to the latest release, which I think is 12.4(10a) or something like that. What you're seeing may be a bug, although I didn't see anything on Cisco's site about a bug like this.

..its gotta have something to do with that independent clocking and channel-group problems i have been reading up on..

CCNP,CCSP,MCSE,Sec+,Net+,A+...

try this
network-clock-participate wic 0
network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0

Mauricio
MCP, MCSE, SMS 2.0, DCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE Written

I did open a TAC case and found out pretty quickly that I had the WIC in the wrong slot. Apparently on a 2801 router only ports 0 and 1 can house a WIC, and 0 is for voice only. Data/Voice has to be on port 1. Thank you all for your help.

Very interesting! I'd never heard of such a restriction. I never would have thought to try a different slot.

Sure you would've. But thanks for saying so anyway...

No, I seriously wouldn't have. I've never heard of such a thing with a WIC before. It didn't even cross my mind. I guess now I know in case I ever have to deal with a 2801.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back