Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

harris79

Technical User
Apr 27, 2001
GB
How do I configure a Sparc5 (Solaris 8) to use external speakers rather than the internal speaker?

The system is up OK, the speakers are attached to the sound card, but the sound come out of the internal speaker.

I also have a Sun external speaker, which clicks when connected to the machine, but again no proper sound comes out.

I have tried changing the settings in the Audio Control to both "Line Out" & "Headphone".

Thanks

Steve

Are you using a windows manager (CDE, for example)? You will need to go into the volume manager and turn off the speaker, making line out the default.
I would give you specifics, but I'm using the Gnome 1.4 desktop on my current machine, so I don't think it would help much.
If I remember correctly, you right click, go to applications, and you should see the volume control in there somewhere. It might be in desktop setup as well, I honestly can't remember.
If you still can't figure it out, let me know and I'll take a look in CDE.

Good luck

T

Oops! Mis-read your post, I see you've already tried that. What app are you using to play the sound? I've also found that the application has to be configured to use line out, otherwise it will override the audio control and play through the system speaker anyway.

Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back