Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

markk85

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
GB
I have recently changed the motherboard on my computer. I was running windows vista and it kept crashing. Sometimes the screen would flash on and off saying that the display driver had malfunctioned. I tried updating but this didn't work.

I therefore decided to try a clean install of windows xp but the same problem happens.

Sometimes it boots into windows but will very quickly crash when I try and do anything. The screen will go into power saving mode and then it will either stay like that or reboot.

The computer won't stay on long enough without crashing for me to even install the graphics drivers.

I have tried updating the bios but this didn't help.

I have an Asus KV-X SE motherboard, radeon 9800xt, amd athlon 3200+, 1gb ram.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like you either have a Bad mobo, or a bad memory...try a different memory, see if the issue continue to persist. If not and the same issue happened sounds like you got a bad mobo.

Check or reassemble the CPU properly, memory, power supply, etc...reseat everything to see, but be sure to ground yourself so you don't shock or kill those resistors that you make not even see it because it's so tiny far beyond the naked eyes.

Just my 2 cents..

Yeah I can get into safe mode and that runs completely fine; it never crashes at all. It's just when I boot into windows normally that it crashes.

Also I have tried a memory test and it reported that there were no errors found.

Does the motherboard have native graphics, so that you can plug the monitor into the motherboard, and take the Radeon out of the equation? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers in safe mode? Also, while in safe mode, I would set Windows to NOT try and reboot when it crashes, so that you can get a BSOD and get the stop error.

Burt

The motherboard hasn't got native graphics so I can't try that.

I can't install the graphics drivers in safe mode as it says I need to install .net 2.0 framework and I can't seem to install this in safe mode.

I have also disabled automatic restart. This seems to make no difference as the screen just goes blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back