Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer case plans 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigey

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
GB
hi all,

I have been in contact with some engineering firms in the UK and have come up with the idea of designing my own custom Pc case.

Just hoping that someone may have some plans for an existing case or some measurement's of a full tower case or any other helpfull advice.

I know this is going to become an expensive project, but if I get enough interest I may be able to sell the idea to an existing manufacturer.

Let me know if you have ay ideas, whether it be about the shape, additional parts etc etc.

Basically what I'm asking is:

What would you like to do to your PC case if you could do anything at all to it?

1) I would make it quieter and make the heat removal a bit more scientific than shoving a crummy old plastic fan in. I've half a dozen computers in here and my ears ring the whole time even when I'm not in the room.
A couple of then are athlon's. They've got even bigger fans to remove a couple of watts extra.
I don't think anyone has really visited this properly, at least at sensible prices.

2) You know that custom cases in funny colours are getting popular. I've just thought of something that I've not seen anywhere. Skins. Sell clip on plastic covers in different designs and colours to match your decor. Like mobiles.

That's brilliant isn't it, seriously good idea. I surprise myself sometimes. Can I have royalties. Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Craigey,

If it were up to me, I would make sure that the technicians that work on the computer have easy access to everything without having to uninstall half the hardware that blocks things in.
A carefully thought out case would win approval, and after all...we are the ones that have to build and repair them.

The other thing that always bugged me...was the LED setup.
If you put in a manual that is written well for the case wiring you will also win favour.

Be careful what type of screws you set your case up for, because they have to be standard.
I would love it if there were any WELL MADE leave in type screws for the case because people always lose them! They would undo, and do up, but not come completely out.

Another added bonus would be strategically placed cable tie holders for wiring, because I am picky and I just hate to have the cables and wires hanging all over the other hardware. There have been a couple of models over the years that have had a place to attach these out of the way inside the case.

Another thing I would be really happy about is a case that wasn't rocket science to get apart and put back together. I have worked on many a different style, and it never fails that it's a pain to put back on. The one piece models are awful because they are cheap thin metal and warp easily. It used to be the shop joke that the hardest part of repair was getting the case on and off!

I like Peter's decorator sleeve idea....quite novel...I am sure it would fly with the retail market...

Love to hear about it if you get it off the ground.

Good Luck!!
Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

Rolled or deburred edges are always nice, keep from cutting hands and fingers.

The captive screws idea is good.

Leave out the speed LED/LCD displays as used in the 486 days, they are a vanity item for show.

Small, quite, cool, built in ups, padded top for foot rest.

As an added bonus, all those who contribute ideas will get a star. So far I'm impressed with all suggestions. I like the idea of the never-loose screws and also the nokia style express on covers.

Any ideas on the numbers of bays?

Of the 3 towers on my network, I have one with 2 HDDs, Zip drive, combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive [5.25" bay] and CD-RW, second with 1 HDD, combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive [5.25" bay], CD-RW drive, and CD-ROM drive, and a third machine with just 1 HDD, 3.5" floppy, Mobile Rack [removeable drive], and CD-RW drive.

3 external 5.25", 2 external 3.5", 4 internal 3.5" HDD. But with all the heat problems, maybe 6 external 5.25" bays so the drive coolers could be used.

How about smaller is better. 2 5" bays and everything accessable from the front and a handle to carry. Small enough to put under an airplane seat.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You might do a search on case modifications for insight on your computer case. Case modification is beginning to become very popular. The window in the case is pretty cool and painting of cases from different colors to art work on the case.

A new case design would have to improve cooling for the future family of 3 to 5 GHz CPUs. (Wonder how long away that is?) Fans are going to have to move more air and run quieter than they do today. While you're designing a case, design a new cooling system altogether. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

A good case would have some or all of these things:
*Screwless
*Easy to assemble/dissassemble
*strong and light weight
*No sharp edges -cant tell ya how many times i've sliced myself :(
*More airflow
*Better cooling system
*Places to put wires without a hassle
*Some cosmetic lights -cpu speed, and other blinky lights to look high tech
*Internal lights -see in low lights without having to hold a flash light with a third appendage
*QUIET
*Self cleaning -mainly dust

~Apex1x
Never become expert at something you hate. They'll make you do it for the rest of your life.

As a further suggestion.....why not harness all the heat from the future fast CPU's to power an expresso machine for the tek?
Just a thought...
No sharp edges DEFINITELY works...and I like the idea of a handle for easy carrying.
What about a carbon fibre case? Strong, light weight and no sharp edges...
They make those awesome F1 cars out of that stuff....would work well. Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

I would agree with Berton abouth the number of drive bays. To be an efficent case for cooling and also to include space for cables, internal light etc.

Sorry Ed-fair, but I think a small case with 2.5" bays is just never going to sell. everyone would have to buy 2.5" devices for the case, the vast majority of people use 5.25" & 3.5". Also I don't know about it being small enough to fit under an airplane seat. Talk about a security issue!

Thanks for all the input guys/gals.

Aye, after spending a week sawing and filing on a new case you really with there were good alternatives on the market.

As said, smooth edges on metal :) - some nice open spaces and the PSU out of the way of the motherboard. A good opening at the top for a fan for heat removal, and a fan right at the bottom for fresh air :)

Ok. so we've agreed on smooth edges and plenty of airflow. As well as plenty of room for cables etc. Any other ideas to do with shape, colours, modifications from the norm etc??

Oooo.. i have just thought of a must.

With all this airflow make sure there are some dial (or similar) on the front to slow down the fans.

Its really handy if you need to leave it on overnight downloading or something and you can turn them down so you can sleep.

I thought about including a baybus, as on Coolcasemods.com, rather than dials.

Yeah either way... as long as the helcopter fans arent rotating at full blast when trying to catch some shut eye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back