Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatiblity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have been tasked to come up with a long term backup plan for my organization.
I have had GREAT success with ArcServe and I am planning to continue using this software to backup my Servers.

Currently we have an IBM model 3581 tape library with an LTO3 tape drive. This library is no longer available by IBM and their Tape Library's run on the expensive side.

Dell has a reasonably priced library (PV114T w/ LTO3 drive(s)).
Both libraries will have LTO-3 technology and same version of Arcserve.

Question: If I archive a tape using ArcServe and write it to the IBM drive, could I take that same tape and read it in the Dell drive?

I believe that all of the LTO drive use the same format. I do know that Dell does not make LTO drives. They use the drives from other manufacturers in their libraries. Many different libraries are capable of running the LTO3 drives.

Andy

I think I have some bad news :

Backup Software Supported Veritas® Backup Exec™, Yosemite™ TapeWare and CommVault Galaxy™

-> this came from the product details of the 114T
doesn't mention arcserve .... so not supported,I thought I'd mention it before you get into a non supported environment.

rgds,

R.

I've been running ArcServ's Brightstor backup software for a few years on a DELL PV136T tape library with 4 LTO2 drives. Dell is no longer a partner with CA(ArcServ), which is why they recommend the Symantec products, but DELL has great support and quite a few times they have cooperated in a joint effort to troubleshoot backup issues with ArcServ. The bottom line is that DELL's customer service is the best!!!! They will not leave you high and dry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back