Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Companion issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitelD

Vendor
Mar 21, 2006
US
We have a customer that has a MICS XC-2.0 and a Companion. Recently one of their base stations stopped working. I determined 2 things: the base station was bad and I had to change BIX positions on the cable as well as the station port. I replaced the base station, went through the re-evalutaion and it still would not come up. I took out another base station and had the same issue. I took the base station back to the RPI and tested it there with the same results. The red light just continues to flash. Any thoughts?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

The credits under Registration are for sets. Register one set and you need 1 credit, or use 1 credit, however you want to look at it.
The credits under Radios are Base Station Credits. Each BS requires 2 credits to enable, one for each radio in the BS. The used and availabe should always show up as even numbers.

If its not all that you mentioned, you may want to try this to help narrow it down.
Disconnect the faulty base.
Clear the System Test Log.
Connect the BS.
Run the Re-Eval.
Review the log.
If there are some type of internal software problems, you should capture a related event.

-SD-

The error that I am getting is "851-xxxxxxxS9". I have gotten that error several times and the x's are different numbers. This is a Base Station software error. We have tried 2 other base stations and 1 base station that was a known working one and none would work in this location. I even took one back to the RPI and wired it there and it stil wouldn't work. We have tried everything and I am at a loss unless this is a MICS software issue. Any thoughts?

NCSS

I had one site several years back that was very strange.
Almost identical to the issue you're having.
We found that another BS with a problem was preventing one BS from coming online.
You may want to try connecting just one BS at a time, starting with the one that you can't get to enable.

The xxxxxx numbers you see in the log relate to Module, Port, Radio. So, 851-080302, would translate to the BS connected to Module 8 or port 3 and the error is with radio 2.

-SD-

Yes, thanks.

NCSS

This customer lost power because of our windstorm and none of the UTAM codes that I have used multiple times in the past worked. I called Nortel and got 4 sets of UTAM codes and they all say Entry Successful but Reavaulation is still disabled. Does the MICS software need replaced?

NCSS

I've had this exact problem DigitelD.
I went through over a dozen recovery codes from a Nortel 1st level.
I finally called one of my bud's in 2nd level support.
He gave me a recovery code and it worked immediately!
Those boneheads in first level are not generating the code properly.
Tell them to escalate you to 2nd level.

-SD-

You are correct. We have talked to this customer about upgrading.

NCSS

We proposed an upgrade and a DMC. We are waiting.

NCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back