Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMCAST ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCOELHO

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
US
Hey everyone. I have had comcast for 3 years now and never experianced this issue before. I have a wrt54g and the comcast modem. Well i will be online at night and all of a sudden my connection will drop. I will not be able to access any websites. I actually have to power cycle the modem and the router and allow it to connect and then i will be fine. The only thing i noticed is that now me and my girlfriend are using the wireless at the sametime. We are both on our laptops. I called comcast and they said it was my router and they are not responsable. I contacted linksys and they suggested cloning my mac address.

So i cloned the MAC address from my pc and it was working fine for a short time and then again i was having issues. Sorry to say with anger i smashed my router and a friend let me borrow a netgear rangemax. And still the same issue. I need to power cycle the modem and router to connect again.
Please does anyone have any ideas. My issue wih Comcast is that this just started to happen. They told me i would have to pay for them to take a look. My favorite is they tryed to sell me new tv packages while i still had an issue over the phone i wanted to choke them. Unbelievable.

Thank you for your help.

Since they provided the cable interface box, Comcast is responsible for it. You should not be charged for their junk! You can file a complaint with the FCC... You might also consider changing to another ISP.

Most likely the cable box is defective. What brand/model is it? Depending if you are technically savvy, you might Google the brand/model and see what info might be available on the box that might be of help to you.

....JIM....

when you have the outage to you still have connection to your wireless router?
You might try upgrading your firmware on the linksys router. You can also take it out of the loop and just plug directly into your cm for a while to see if problem persists. (remember to powercycle the CM) If you dont have a problem with a direct connection its probably your router. They are cheap and don't last all that long anyway.

Connect the cable directly to your PC. See if the connection still drops. If it does, then its the cable box.

if you look and see what your gateway is, try and pink it when your connection drops. If you can ping your gateway, then its a error between your router and cable box.

Let us know..

Ok guys it hadnt happened in awhile but tonight it was at it again. Now i did notice that i can not ping my router. But mind you this is my second router. So what do you guys think it might be? It has to be something on my network thats causing the issue but i have no idea what it could be. All i have is a wireless laptop, my wireless chumby and a wired pc. These have all been plugged in for a long time and never had issues before. Thank you for the help.

Is it the same kind of router? Did you update the firmware if there is a new version after you installed it? If this is the first time since being replaced that it failed, did you notice any unusual LED status or other condition other than you could not PING the router? Were you PINGing from the wired or wireless or both? Did it come back by itself or did you power cycle it?

....JIM....

Its a NETGEAR router. I have all the latest updates on the router. I actually attempted to ping from both the wired and wireless to no avail. I could not see the router. I actually had to power cycle the router and it came right back up.

It just might be a glitch or something causing DOS? You might want to turn on the log feature or check them by logging into the router and checking the activity for anything unusual. Then see if you have anymore failures. It could be luck or just low end hardware.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back