Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarion 5 - Converting TPS to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

wchestnut

Programmer
Aug 9, 2010
US
I have numerous TPS files that I want to convert to Tables in a SQL Server 2008 Database. We have Clarion 5.0, and after much seaching, I was able to find and download TopScan v5.5 which has the Export option. I am able to create TXT files and manually Import them into SQL. However, the Table is automatically created with a generic Text format for each field.

So, I then found Data Management Center 3.01 (DMC) which looked promising. It's not the most user-friendly applcation, but after a while I was able to set up my SQL connection (after having to download the "SQL Server Native Client 10.0" and use it's "Clone Structure" feature where it reads the TPS file, determines field data types, creates the SQL Table and uploads the data (20 record limit with demo).

DMC also has a "Port to SQL" feature that really looks good. But I'm stuck on the first step. With Clarion 5.0, we have a DCT Dictionary file but the process wants a DCTX format. I used Clarion and figured out how to export the Dictionary to a TXD file but it didn't like it.

The on-screen help mentions "DMC does not work directly with your DCT or APP files. You must first use Clarion to Export these to DCTX and TXA files. When done, you'll use the new DCTX and TXA files created by DMC to Import into the new DCT and APP files.". Is there any way I can convert our DCT to a DCTX?

Understand that the intention is NOT to convert the apps from TPS to SQL. I only want it to automatically create each Table, Index, Relations and upload the data. I hope this makes sense. I'm certainly no Clarion expert!

Thanks, TuzMwaura, but I don't see anything on that web site. It doesn't look it has much content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back