Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2960-S Flexstack - stacking integration issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt054

Technical User
May 5, 2008
NZ
I have a client with two WS-C2960S-24PD-L devices, both devices have Flexstack modules and are running C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) IOS.

The first switch is in use with a running-config on it and due to upsizing the client wants me to add the new switch to the existing switch to make a single stack (CoXYZStack).

I have dug around on the Cisco WebSite and am only able to find the following Flexstack Guide;

Unfortunately this document doesn't really detail the configuration I require on either switch? Has anyone had experience of configuring Cisco Flexstack, if so can you give me a few pointers around the required configuration on the two switches.

Basically what is happening is that both switches are acting as standalone 'stacks' in their own right and I am unable to get them to recognize each other or operate together in a single stack.

switch 1 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l
switch 2 provision ws-c2960s-24pd-l

I tried the switch 'x' provision 'xyz' configuration line on CoXYZSw1 and as you can see when doing a 'sho switch detail' it shows as provisioned but on powering down the CoXYZSw2 none of the stack-ports or the stack-ring come up?

CoXYZSw1#sho switch detail
Switch/Stack Mac Address : c8ba.bf77.1234
H/W Current
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
----------------------------------------------------------
*1 Master c8ba.bf77.1234 14 1 Ready <<< You will see I also tried altering CoXYZSw1 priority to 14 to ensure it came up as Master
2 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 1 Provisioned

CoXYZSw1#sho switch stack-ring speed

Stack Ring Speed : 10G
Stack Ring Configuration: Down
Stack Ring Protocol : FlexStack

CoXYZSw1#sho switch stack-ports
Switch # Port 1 Port 2
-------- ------ ------
1 Down Down

And as you would expect the switch doesn't see or recognize its neighbour? I have tried both possible Flexstack cabling configuratione i.e. Stack 1 to Stack 1 / Stack 2 to Stack 2 and also Stack 1 to Stack 2 / Stack 1 to Stack 2

CoXYZSw1#sho switch neighbors
Switch # Port 1 Port 2
-------- ------ ------
1 None None

Anybody any ideas or a example configurations would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: Also had a try with this 'stackmaker' config but that didn't seem to help much either? 'stackmaker name CoXYZStack'

I would try reseating your flexstack card. It appears you are having an issue even getting a link.

I agree, or both stackcabled are broke.

also:
its best to select the first switch as master '14'
and the second '13'.

and 12.2(55) has a bug: 70% proc. utilitation
do a sh proc cpu his.
you will see it. strange behaviour is that it drops when you login with telnet....
but you will see i in the history.
upgrade to 15.1 (for free if you register)
its most easy to do this after you have a working stack, if both versions are the same.
I used the tarfile with archive download-sw /leave-old tftp:...
after a check on flash 1 and 2 if the bin file existed and a sh boot : reload

Got it fixed.....

Went back to site at the weekend and did the following;

Saved existing configs

Stripped configs from Sw1 & Sw2

Reloaded devices

Removed / reseated each stack module

Rebooted devices in order and succesfully brough 2960-S Stack up

Put new configuration on stack

It was as easy as that! So unclear if this was a seating issue with the modules or cables? Or if the stack didn't like the config on Sw1. Either way it's working now and I'm a bit wiser about stacking 2960s. Thanks for your assistance ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back