Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIM and JRE.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmpsnt

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
GB
I've been handed a dead dog project dealing with CIM on a single 400MHz proc box to survey a whole enterprise of over 1200 servers reporting. Now this is not how I'd architect the solution...but there is no control over it. Issue I'm running into is that this CIM server is pegging the CPU on a several times a minute basis. I've run Perf Mon, and the one thing the seems to correlate with the spikes is JRE.EXE. Now, it's not uncommon for Java to be known as a memory hog...but it's staying steady at 32Mb no matter what I do...but it tweaks the proc to an unacceptable usage. I've tried re-installing, I've checked to make sure that there that there were no contributing processes other than I noticed some issues with Netshield 4.5 (probably just on-demand access scanner) and the compaq agent...but not to the point of maxing the Proc. Anyone else have this issue, and is there a feasable situation other than sepending for a more robust machine (upgrades to this machine are not negotiable...so my hands are tied to the all or nothing beauracracy).

I've seen this regularly with small customers that aren't prepared to pay for hardware to run management software...

These customers gererally use the MSDE.....

The MSDE product is a "broken" version of the SQL code

When you're are installing the software, "Compaq" informs of the performance of the MSDE... err.. it's shite...

In order to gain optimum performance from the product, Compaq recomends using the full SQL product.

There are some very good white papers that detail the use of the Microsoft SQL products on Compaq hardware..

If yoyu are using a fully blown version of the SQl product and are still "seeing" these symptoms..

I find that running the web based console from another PC with relevant JRE should help split the processing need.

I really hpoe that is waffle is of some use

Cheers
Let me know of the outcome
Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back