Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Changing PRI providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonDill

Programmer
Jun 10, 2009
US
Hello,

We currently have a Nortel BCM50 with a PRI from at&t. I'm switching to a comcast PRI because i'm tired of at&t and their customer support and reps. Is there anything I will need to configure on the BCM50 for the new PRI? Is it as simple as plugging in the new PRI and everything should work the way it did? Any help is much appreciated!

As long as the new Comcast PRI has the same parameters such as Framing=ESF, Line Coding=B8ZS, Protocol=NI2 and they are sending the same length of digits for incoming calls, it should be just as easy as swapping the patch cord from AT&T to Comcast. If the span comes up and incoming calls work but outgoing calls do not, you might have to change the order of outgoing calls from "Increasing to Decreasing" or vise versa.

One other thing to note before switching - If the AT&T PRI is connected to a smart jack and the Comcast PRI will be connected to an IAD you will probably need to change out the PRI patch cable to a cross-over T1 cable or cut off the end and flip transmit and receive. This is because you will have a CSU-CSU connection and both will be transmitting on pins 4 and 5.

Thank you for the replies! I'll check with Comcast regarding the settings but I may need a local phone tech to come in just to be sure everything works properly after the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back