Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CDE login problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco76

Technical User
Sep 10, 2003
US
I have a 6C1 with the 2 built in 10/100 nic's, only using one. Also I have 2 Gigabit 10/100/1000 pci adapters which I am making an etherchannel device. I am configuring them in this manner. (I wont use the real addresses and names so I can maintain customer confidentiality..)

system hostname = demo
device IP address subnet mask type
en0 10.1.1.20 255.255.255.0 10/100 built-in
en1 not used .....................

hostname for etherchannel = emgdemo
en1 created etherchannel device 10/100/1000 pci
en2 created etherchannel device 10/100/1000 pci
en4 10.1.2.30 255.255.255.0 etherchannel

question: once I have created the above scenario on my 6C1 and logout/login, the CDE throws me back out and I have to log in FAILSAFE mode. How and or what do I need to do to fix this? Is there something I need to change in my dtlogin file or?
p.s. I have tried using aliases in the etc/hosts file but this doesnt make any difference.

Bronco,

I had sorta the same issue and had to make sure the following was true:
etc/host should been ip, longname, shortname…order.

and my netsvc.conf file had a lot of information but not the needed line of host=local,bind (This just menas to check locally first then go to network and bind) Basically, i renamed netsvc.conf and then recreated it with only the above information in it.

HOpe this helps.

I dont seem to have the file you mentioned so I tried creating one an putting it in the /etc dir. but I still have problems with the display not working. I get forced into a failsafe mode.

Its obvious that a system can only have one hostname but how do you configure a system that has 2 nic's and each of them have their own hostname associated with??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back