Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CD Boot IBM AIX 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alestan3

Technical User
May 7, 2013
US
Hello All,

I am brand new to AIX and need to confirm how to boot to CD. I am able to connect via a terminal, view the sms, change boot order and select the detected CD ROM drive but the bootable cd will not boot? I have tried different CD's and different drives to no avail. I get a "No Operating system installed" error every time I select the CD/DVD boot option. The CD ROM drive doesn't act like it's reading the cd either.Is there something I am missing or is there another way I am supposed to boot to cd.

Hi, I think we need a bit more information because it sounds like you are on the right track.
What type of system - machine type and model please - is it?
What is the installed system firmware level?
Is it an IBM badged original and supported CD/DVD drive?
Is it CD or DVD install media?
Can you check out the CD / DVD and the drive on another system?
Duke.

Thank you for your quick response.

To answer your questions:

IBM 520 Power 6 proc
Installed system firmware level is not known at this point. I can get this later today if necessary
CD/DVD ROM drive was installed with the system but it does not have an IBM "badge" on it
Both CD and DVD media do not read on IBM but I am able to boot the media in another system (windows or linux) no problem

Both CD and DVD media do not read on IBM but I am able to BOOT the media in another system (windows or linux) no problem"

What kind of windows or linux system do you have that can BOOT from an AIX install CD / DVD ? - this is just not possible as far as I have ever heard or experienced!

To clarify, the cd I am trying to boot from is a bootable cd that works in a Windows or Linux system. Is it only possible to boot from IBM install disks on an IBM system or can you boot from any bootable cd?

Do you mean boot or read?
You can only boot a p520 from AIX install or diagnostic media and as far as I know you simply cannot boot a Windows or (most) linux machines from any AIX media.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back