Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CCENT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdoe

Technical User
Aug 20, 2007
GB
Took a CCENT practice exam the other day and the following question baffled me a little, any help explaning the answer would be greatly appreciated.

trmy16nkj6

Refer to the exhibit. Switch1 has only the following commands added to a default Cisco 2960 configuration:

enable secret cisco
line vty 0 4
password Kn0ckkn-cK
login
interface vlan 1
ip address 10.0.1.8 255.255.255.0
no shutdown

Assume that routing between networks is functioning properly and that Switch2 has been properly configured for remote access. What would the result be if the telnet 10.0.2.2 command is issued from Switch1 privileged mode?

A The following prompt would appear:
User Access Verification
Password:

B Switch2 would return a destination unreachable message to Switch1.

C Router1 would return a destination unreachable message to Switch1.

D The packet would be dropped.

The correct answer is D, couldnt work out why, from the above information i thought answer A wwould have been correct

Regards

Col

mcdoe,

First - your picture is not showing, seems it might be important to see where switch 1 and switch 2 are since they have different range of IP addresses - 10.0.2.2 and 10.0.1.8

Second - what testing software is this?

Some have both bad questions as well as bad or WRONG answers, good books/software will have an "erata" page where corrections and typos after publishing are addressed.

If this is a book, check the publisher website for an erata page for this book!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

The image showed up for me in the link. But I still think there is some missing information. Is there a subnet mask for the Fa0/1 interface on R1?

But, I'm also with CiscoGuy, I've seen some really bad practice test software out there. Had one set that had this great feature of sending comments about the questions back to the vendor. Would have been even better if they would have actually done something about it. Never did see an update or anything for it come out.

You are missing the ip default-gateway x.x.x.x command from Switch1 so it won't be able to telnet or reach any host not on the same subnet as the switch. Hence, D. Don't over think the questions. CCENT is BASICS like IP subnets/masks, gateways.

HTH

That was my problem. Was over thinking it.

Without the default gateway, the switch doesn't know to forward the packet on to the router, so it can't reply with any messages.

I was hung up between the last 2, but wasn't totally sure.

Thanks for the replies guys, tried placing the image in the message but it failed, although if you click on the link the picture will show.

As for what software/ book i was using, the question is taken from an actual ccent practice exam on cisco's net academy, passed the practice exam, but coudlnt understand the answer properly. As mentioned above i was reading too much in to it. Instructor is away so couldnt pose question to him and it was driving me crazy.

Many thanks

mcdoe.. Check out the CiscoPress book '31 Days Before the CCENT"!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back