Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot replicate from (LOCAL) server on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinuk

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
Hello
I've been building a SQL2000 database on my laptop. I've now reached the point where I want to make it available to other members of the team.
Unfortunately, SQL won't let me replicate to our main server (which is what they will be using) because my laptop is registered as (LOCAL).
Can anybody offer a suggestion (polite please) how I can overcome this.
Alternatively, is there a better way to do it ?????

Thank in advance
Keith
In case I forget to say "Thank you" I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

I assume when you say "registered" you are referring to server registeration in Enterprise Manager. Are you getting any errors? Is your laptop part of the same Windows as the servers?
To register the servers you need to be on the same network with TCP/IP connectivity correctly setup. During registration make sure to provide the correct SQL or Windows login credentials. Try registering using IP address instead of the machine name.
At any rate it would ve helpful to provide info on:
Windows Domain or Standalone servers involved
TCP/IP and DNS setup
SQL authentication mode (windows vs. SQL) ...

________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not like change, get out of the IT business...

If you have access to the main server, you can backup your local database to file and then restore it on the main server. this will copy a snapshot of your database onto the main server, then you can all work from that. This might not be exactly what you want (?)

cheyney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back