Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot join Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprheeder

Programmer
Jan 21, 2010
ZA
Hi there,

I have a domain on a 03 server which a staffs laptop was connected to. I got a call from the user saying that they can no longer ping the server. checked everything and decided to reformat. upon loading drivers i was still unable to ping the server or any peer machines(ip on the range 10.10.1.1-250) just before i gave up and blamed the network card i tried changing the ip address to our routers range(192.168.1.1) it worked and was able to browse the net etc.

I am able to change my ip to the same ip as another computer's (10.10.1.1range) and i do get a conflict so the cable must work(also using the same cable as my machine that connects) I am assuming that the DC is preventing me from connecting/pinging on the server ip range for some reason?

Any ideas?

Hi North323

Thanks for the reply, I've just tried adding the gateway(none of the other machines use it) and still cannot connect.

here are the act i got so far:

server ip: 10.10.1.1
laptop ip: 10.10.1.199
(about 140 pcs on this range none of which i can ping from the laptop)
router ip: 192.168.1.1
now if i change the ip to say, 192.168.1.2 i can browse the net(ie: network card is fine) but as soon as i put it onto the 10.10.1.199 ip it cannot ping the server.

there is a firewall connecting the router and server.

THE PROBLEM: cannot ping/connect to any machine on that ip range(10.10.1.1) although it could previously. could it be that the domain controller is blocking it? I'm really stumped :/ but the answer is out there!

sorry typo: meant to say

Here are the facts that i have so far:

:p

domain controller prob is not blocking. maybe the firewall. can you post a pic of your topology? where there any changes recently? what does the firewall log say?

Some more info:

when i plug the cat 5 in the lan status says connected! I have DHCP enabled and it even gets an IP address! just cannot ping/join domain

Whats the subnet mask you're using? the way it looks is that the 192. address is a class C where as the 10. network is usually a class A address (ie 255.255.255.0 for the 192 addresses and 255.0.0.0 for the 10 addresses).

You need to make sure that the subnet mask is the same across the board, if it's configured with different masks then you will have issues.

One thing you may want to do is a tracert or pathping from the laptop to the server and see what route it's trying to take.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Yeah, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128 would cause that issue.

You should try using different IP addresses, different switchports, and different laptops until you spot a pattern.

Also, beware of relying on ping for your troubleshooting - Windows firewall will block PCs from replying to pings which could mislead you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back